Family Law

Modification Of Orders

Modification of orders in Texas usually deals with modification of custody. In Texas, “custody” is broken down into two things: conservatorship and possession and access.

Conservatorship deals with the rights to make decision for the child, such as educational decisions, medical decisions, the right to enroll into the military before 18, and so on.

Possession means actual physically possession of the child, including custody and visitation.

Access means additional time with the child via telephone or virtual visits, such as Skype, Duo, Zoom, or other means. Most often, access simply gets clumped together with possession.

When a party wishes to modify any of the above, a modification action has to be filed in Texas. The name of the petition which actually begins the action is typically “Petition to Modify Parent-Child Relationship.” Like any other lawsuit, it is served unto the other party, and the other party has the first Monday after twenty days of service to file an answer.

Modifications are typically filed when a parent wants to switch custody of the child, i.e. become the parent with the right to designate the primary residence and be the parent who receives child support. However, modifications can also be filed to modify or add a geographic restriction, to modify rights and duties while keeping the custody order as is, and for other reasons.

The grounds for modification are as follows. First, the parent has to prove to the Court that the modification sought is “in the best interest of the child.” This is very generic statutory language, and the Court has discretion to decide whether or not a change is in the best interest of the child. The second item which has to be proven to the Court is that there has been a “material and substantial change in circumstance” since the last time the Court rendered or updated an order for the child.

Much like with “in the best interest of the child,” what is a “material and substantial change” is very open-ended, and the Court had discretion. Some events are listed in the Texas Family Code as unquestionably meeting this requirement (such as a conviction for sexual abuse or conviction for family violence), and some events have been interpreted by the Courts over the years to also mean a material and substantial change, such as: parental alienation, change of home environment, change in child’s age and needs, mistreatment of the child, parental conflict, a relocation of a parent, drug use by a parent, and so on.

It is important to note that if a modification has been filed in less than one year from the time the Court last rendered or updated the order, a Court in Texas will not proceed with a modification until and unless the filing party provides an affidavit which explains why they feel that there has been a material and substantial change. If the Court finds going off the affidavit that indeed there was a material and substantial change, then the modification action can proceed.

If you require an attorney to fight for you in regards to modification of custody or child support, the attorneys at Ilionsky Law, PLLC are standing by to provide you with experienced counsel to expertly handle your matter from start to finish. Give us a call at (737) 637-2122 to discuss your options and how we may help you.

Affiliations and Recognitions

What Our Clients Are Saying

"Mr. Illionsky is a lawyer's lawyer and a true gentleman. He is prompt to respond and very succinct. His knowledge of the law is also extremely extensive and came to my aid in a county ordinance dispute. I’d recommend him in a heartbeat."

Chris Lahiri

"Words cannot express how thankful I am to have had E.Z. take on my case. From the beginning of my case all the way to the end, he answered all of my questions, handled all obstacles, and defended at all times. You can say he is a Professional Bulldog in court! E.Z. took care of me and my family and we will always be thankful for his help! We highly, highly recommend E.Z! All the way!"

Monique Perez

"I wish there was a way of giving him 10 stars. I have been working with E.Z for the last couple months and I have no complaints. He is tough but truthful 😀.If you are looking for an attorney that tells you exactly what you want to hear ...please skip him but if you are looking a real counsel that Says to you what you need to hear CALL HIM. HE IS A GOOD GUY."

Beni L.

"I was referred to Ilionsky Law and could not be happier with the service. E.Z. took my case on in a less than an optimal time frame, yet made me feel like I was in good hands throughout. There was excellent communication/responsiveness and counsel was straightforward with everything explained thoroughly (and with a lot of patience!). E.Z. was kind and thoughtful and I felt at ease knowing I had him going into the situation. I wholeheartedly would recommend this establishment!"

Neda Haggag

"Words cannot express the gratitude I feel toward Ilionsky, it was a blessing to have found him. Since the minute I was on the phone with him, I had nothing but total support and guidance. Had it not been for Ilionsky, I probably would have lost my case and my sanity, to be honest. He was always reachable, communicative, smart, straightforward, confident, and extremely competent. He is a truly compassionate human being, who cared for my case as if I was part of his family. Putting my trust in him was the best decision I have made. I felt confident and secure with him on my side through the whole case, not once did I doubt him. I know it's you said you are just doing your job, but it's my life- and I feel you went above and beyond and I just want to express my appreciation."

Karla Venegas

"Can I just say Thank God, for amazing attorneys that really care for you as a person and as a client, EZ Llionsky was understanding, attentive , help you fight for what is right. He is straight forward there is no bull ____ , my family and I are just very grateful that we found him.. I can not say it enough but Thank You so much!"

Dolores Charles

"EZ and his staff provided excellent service. He constantly went out of his way to make sure that my case was being handling properly. He genuinely cares about the case and more importantly making sure your okay during the process. His "go-get em'" attitude is something you want from a lawyer and that was the key to the outcome in my case. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND choosing Ilionsky Law firm for and legal matter!"

Daniyal Hasan

"Very happy with this firm's services. Always kept me up to date on all developments, was always very patient and explained everything to me so I can make all the decision so I felt in control of my divorce. My ex settled just to avoid his deposition because he was afraid of my lawyer. LOL."


Martha W

"I can't say Thank you enough!!! to attorney Ilionsky. He represented me in a custody case. Being a single mom on a fixed budget, I was thinking I couldn't afford good legal representation. I was wrong attorney Ilionsky is an AMAZING ATTORNEY! He is fair, honest and cares about his clients. He is not out to take your money and charge you for every little thing. My case dragged on for a little over a year. Through out that time I never felt that he didn't have my best interest. I can't say these things about many attorneys but I can say that about him. He CARES and I would definitely use him again if I need too."

Erika Alvarez